Embrace your child’s wintertime birthday with a party that features a favourite frosty weather activity: ice skating! Even if your guests aren’t experienced skaters, an ice skating party can provide a fun opportunity to learn the basics.
If you are going with a Birthday on Ice theme, one fun way to invite guests is with a cardstock cut out in the shape of an ice skate. Have the birthday child decorate one side of the skate with coloured pens, glitter and stickers. Write the party details on the other side.
Other ideas for ice-skating party invitations include:
- A postcard invitation portraying your child wearing ice skates, or ice skaters on the rink in the photo section.
- A paper printout from your home computer that features ice-skating themed clip art in the design.
An ice skating rink like The Ice Station at Grand West in Cape Town has birthday party packages available for your occasion. You can inquire about renting the facility for a private party, or acquiring a group rate for your skating session. The arena offers birthday packages which includes a hostess who will assist with serving food, birthday cake and party favours.
Another fun idea for a Birthday on Ice celebration is to take a few your child’s friends to an actual ice skating show like Disney on Ice (6 – 10 July ), and then head to the public rink for a skating session where guests cans show off some of their own moves after the performance. You can even invite kids to come dressed in their favourite character costume.
Whether you have the party at a rink that includes food as part of the package or host the party yourself, some ideas for ice-skating party food to serve are:
- An ice skate cake.
- Snowflake cupcakes.
- Hot cocoa.
Ice skating is the obvious main event at the skating themed party. At an arena, you can arrange for an instructor to give a lesson to your guests, or simply spend the time freestyle skating. If you’re looking to have some organised games in the ice-skating theme, however, some ideas include:
- Play freeze skate: Kids skate around the rink to music, but must stop skating and freeze in place whenever the music stops.
- Ice skating relay races: Divide guests into two teams and have them race on skates to a designated finish line and back.
Ice-skating favour ideas include:
- Icicle treat cones: Dip a sugar cone in melted white chocolate. Fill with white chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Wrap in cellophane and add a tag that reads “Thank you
for skating with me!”
- A pair of mittens or gloves.
- A program (if you attend an ice skating show).
- A pair of ice skate laces.
- Themed party boxes.